Lemuel and Lucy Botsford were Quakers. From Salisbury, Connecticut, they moved to Lyons, New York, and in 1836 to Farmington's Quaker settlement. In 1837 the Botsfords built this Greek Revival house on what became known as Botsford Hill. The house was on a 240-acre working farm. Their son Milton built an identical residence on the other side of the valley. Milton, the oldest of their ten children was owner and proprietor of the Botsford Inn
, Michigan's oldest continuously operating inn.