Until 1962 Three Mile (Larke) Road was known simply as Larke Road. In 1876 Henry Larke (1824-1900) became the first settler along this road, making his home about one and one-half miles west of this site. He had emigrated from Canada, where he farmed and made wooden pumps. From 1876 until 1897 Larke operated a dairy farm near this site. His son Richard, and his daughter-in-law, Lena, maintained the farm until the 1940s. Around the turn of the century, a local glacial deposit and the local rural school were named in honor of the Larke family.