Religious of the Sacred Heart
Responding to a request from the Antoine Beaubien family, five Religious of the Sacred Heart arrived in Detroit in 1851. The nuns opened a school on the north side of Jefferson Avenue, near this site. From 1851 to 1861 the school occupied three locations on Jefferson Avenue. The religious also taught in French-, Italian-, and English-speaking parishes. In 1861 they erected a new school on this site. It operated until 1918. It was relocated on Lawrence Avenue from 1918 to 1958, when it was moved to Bloomfield Hills.