St. Joseph Hospital and Home for the Aged
In the old elm farmhouse that once stood on this site, six Dominican nuns opened the St. Joseph Hospital and Home for the Aged on May 20, 1884. They were sent by Mother Hyacinth Sheininger, Prioress of Holy Rosary Convent in New York City, at the request of Father Casimir Rohowski, pastor of Adrian's St. Joseph Church. From 1884 to 1896 the St. Joseph Hospital cared for 138 patients and 18 orphans, who in 1887 were accommodated in a larger facility, In 1896 the hospital was closed and converted into the St Joseph Academy. It later became the center of the present Motherhouse of the Adrian Dominican Sisters. The farmhouse was demolished in 1926.