First Baptist Church
The Reverend Thomas Z. R. Jones, a traveling missionary, began visiting the Marshall area in 1838. On January 16, 1840 he helped organize the First Baptist Church of Marshall with eight members. The group erected this church in 1850-51. They enlarged and remodeled it in 1876 with plans provided by Benjamin J. Bartlett of Chicago. The handsome Romanesque church, now the oldest church edifice in the city, features rounded-arch stained glass windows and an early example of a modified Akron (semicircular) seating plan.