Timothy and Rachael Sheldon moved here from New York state in the early 1820s, after the Chicago Road
(now US 12) was surveyed. The first people to purchase land in the area, they built an inn near here in 1825. In 1830 Timothy became postmaster of the area's post office. Eventually the settlement of Sheldon's Corners supported a log schoolhouse, two general stores, two churches, a cobbler and a blacksmith. In 1834 this area became part of the Township of Canton.