Bloomingdale Depot / Kalamazoo and South Haven Railroad
Originally called the Kalamazoo and South Haven Railroad Depot, this building was completed in December 1870. Harvey Howard, owner of the local sawmill, and his brothers Zenas and Joseph supplied the lumber and built the depot. Its original location was an acre of land donated by August Haven. The park built on the depot grounds in 1912 is named in Haven's honor. The first passenger train arrived in Bloomingdale on July 4, 1870.
Kalamazoo and South Haven Railroad
On April 14, 1869, Kalamazoo businessmen filed articles of incorporation establishing the Kalamazoo and South Haven Railroad Company. Final construction on the line was completed in December 1870. After a year of operation, the railroad became a division of the Michigan Central Railroad. The village of Bloomingdale was established along the line on May 23, 1870, by Lucius Kendall and Henry Killefer. Passenger service was discontinued in 1937; and all other rail service, in 1970.