The Michigan Veterans' Facility (formerly the Michigan Soldiers Home) was authorized by Act 152 of the Public Acts of 1885, which provided for the establishment of a home for disabled Michigan veterans. This act resulted from the efforts of Civil War veterans who were members of the Grand Army of the Republic. The home was dedicated in December 1886 with speeches by Governor Russell A. Alger, Governor-elect Cyrus G. Luce, former Governor Austin Blair and various legislators. The need for nursing care was soon realized and in 1891 an 80-bed hospital and an 80-bed annex was added to the 320-bed main building. A 30-bed unit for women dependents was built in 1893. In 1894 the fountain and the Civil War statue in the cemetery were completed. They are the only remaining structures of that period. A new hospital was built in 1909.