On April 13, 1836, Eleazar Morton (1786-1864) purchased land here for $1,000. Before long, he set aside a family cemetery plot. Other families asked to purchase adjacent plots. The cemetery grew, and in 1884, Eleazar's son Henry C. and surveyor Ross Shinn formally registered a plat of Morton Cemetery. In 1902 Henry's son, J. Stanley Morton and his wife Carrie sold Morton Cemetery to the City of Benton Harbor for one dollar, with the provision that prior deeds and receipts for plots be honored. City founders and military veterans are buried here. Those who fought in the Civil War include members of the locally organized 12th and 17th Infantry and four men who served in the 102nd United States Colored Troops, a regiment of African Americans that was recruited as the First Michigan Colored Infantry.