Ladies Library Association
On July 28, 1869, eight Traverse City women organized the Ladies Library Association. In 1878 the association purchased its first building at 205 East Front Street. In 1909 the association sold that building and retained Fred E. Moore as architect and E. E. Buckner as contractor to build the present structure. The cornerstone and time capsule were put into place on July 23, 1909. This building was used as a library until 1949. It served the city until 1983. In 1986 it was renovated for private law offices.