This house was built in 1908-09 for local clothier Meyer S. May and his wife, Sophie Amberg. Frank Lloyd Wright designed the house in the Prairie style. It was his first major commission in Michigan. May was the son of Abraham May, founder of A. May and Sons clothing store. In 1906 Meyer became president of the store, which was the first in the nation to display clothes on Batts hangers. Meyer May lived in this house until his death in 1936. The house was used as a private residence until 1985. In 1986 Steelcase Inc. began the complete restoration of the house its interior and grounds.