Saint Joseph Sanitarium and Bath House
Opened in 1899, the Saint Joseph Sanitarium and Bath House is the only building remaining from the Mount Clemens bath era. Beginning in 1870, people suffering from rheumatism, blood poisoning, diabetes and skin diseases, among other ailments, sought the curative powers of these baths. The city was hailed as "The Great Health & Pleasure Resort of Michigan." By 1911 the city boasted 78 hotels and 11 bath houses. Elegant and modern, Saint Joseph Sanitarium sported parlors, a library, steam heat, electric lights and a hydraulic elevator. It offered mineral baths until 1952.