St. John's Episcopal Church
St. John's Episcopal parish, established in December 1858, served what was then a rural area of Detroit. Albert Jordan designed the original church (now St. John's Chapel), which was built in 1859. Henry Porter Baldwin, a former United States senator and future governor, donated the church lot and paid for the building. Two years later, Jordan and his partner James Anderson, by then Detroit's ranking church architects, designed the present Victorian Gothic church. Known as the Patriarch of Piety Hill, the limestone structure was constructed with a partial donation from Baldwin. The chancel was enlarged in 1892 and in 1936 the church and chapel (40 million pounds) were moved sixty feet eastward when Woodward Avenue was widened.