Charles T. Mitchell House
This Prairie style building began as a Second Empire house built by George Mitchell in 1874. A lumberman and Cadillac's first mayor, Mitchell built the house with ornately carved woodwork and a mansard roof. His business partner, Wellington W. Cummer occupied it from 1878-1922, when it was purchased by Mitchell's grandnephew, Charles T. Mitchell. In 1926, Charles, a local industrialist, renovated the house to conform with current architectural trends. Totally redone in the Prairie style and clad with red brick, it lost its ornamentation and gained a low-pitched hipped roof. The extensive renovation was testimony to Charles Mitchell's wealth; his firms employed from one-forth to one-third of Cadillac's workforce.