Musgrove Evans platted this area in 1827. The first settlers, Erastus and Sally Ingersoll and their twelve children, did not arrive until 1835. The township was organized in 1842. At the first township meeting, citizens chose the name Delta and elected Ingersoll's to nine of the nineteen township offices. They also appropriated "$100 for bridges and roads" and decreed that bulls and boar hogs must be fenced in. By 1887 the area was mainly supported by farming and grist and sawmills. The clapboard township hall, erected in the mid-1870s, served the township until 1955. A combination fire chief's residence and township hall was built to replace it on the site of the old Soper one-room schoolhouse, one mile north of the earlier structure.