Upon the death of his daughter in 1832, John Thomas donated part of his farm to the township to form a public burying ground. He gave an adjacent parcel to the Presbyterians who built a church there in 1837. Although nonsectarian, the cemetery became known as the United Presbyterian Church Cemetery. All but seven grave date from the nineteenth century. One of Southfield's first settlers, Isaac Heth, is buried here. The last interment was in 1926.