St. Michael Roman Catholic Church
In 1834, Daniel O'Sullivan, a teacher from Ireland, moved to Flint and began teaching religion to students after school. Together with two traveling priests he convinced Bishop LeFevre to build a church in Flint. That church became St. Michael Roman Catholic Parish. In 1848 the parish completed its first church on land donated by Chauncey S. Payne. When this church became too small, the parish built its second church in 1883 under the leadership of Father Timothy J. Murphy. In 1924 fire destroyed the sanctuary of that church. Monsignor Patrick Dunigan had it rebuilt that same year. Monsignor Earl V. Sheridan led the construction of the third church in 1964. It was dedicated in 1966.