Woodbridge N. Ferris founded the Ferris Business College in October 1888. Ferris also founded what is now known as Ferris State University
in Big Rapids three years earlier. The college was initially established as a proprietary school of business. Since its founding, it has been owned by various individuals and undergone several name changes. Since 1926, the college's prominent owners and managers have been the Jewell family. In 1965 the name became the Muskegon Business College and the institution began granting associate degrees, In 1969 the school was chartered by the State of Michigan as a non-profit institution. After merging with Baker College of Flint and Owosso, Muskegon Business College began granting the Bachelor of Business Administration Degree in 1987.