This Greek Revival house was built around 1840 by Jira Payne, owner of the Atlas sawmill. The twin fluted Ionic columns, flanked by square Doric piers, were hand hewn from trees on this property. Emil Lorch, professor of architecture at the University of Michigan
from 1906-1936, called the portico "one of the most monumental in Michigan." Owned by the George Pomeroy family from 1848 to 1858, the house, known as Pomeroy Hall was a center of social life in Clinton.