Ogaukawning Church

Ogaukawning Church

Established in 1847, the Ogaukawning Indian Mission, the first church in present-day Bay County, served Chippewa Indians at the nearby Kawkawlin settlement. First ministered by Methodist missionaries, it soon came under Indian trusteeship and still remains so. This site has been the social and religious center of the community since the 1840s. Several Indian pastors officiated at the Kawkawlin Mission, the last in 1947.
photo of Ogaukawning Church

Registered Site L1526
Erected 1990

Location: Euclid Rd at Hidden Road
Kawkawlin, Bay County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings

Home

Latitude: 43.6463704, Longitude: -83.9129143

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com