Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church
On May 3, 1918, the Royal Oak Tribune boasted that, "architecturally and artistically," the new Methodist Episcopal Church was "the achievement of a master mind." William E. N. Hunter, a Detroit architect and Methodist who designed many Protestant churches, provided the plans for this Collegiate-style church, now known as First United Methodist Church. The Methodist Episcopal congregation was the first church organized in Royal Oak. It was established in 1838, and five years later its members built a wood-frame church on this site. In 1894 the frame church was replaced with one built of bricks manufactured and donated by Edwin A. Starr. By 1915 a new church was needed to accommodate the growing membership. The education wing was added in 1928.