Hathaway - Hess Farm
The Hathaway - Hess Farm originated as the homestead of Jonathon Owen Hathaway, who migrated from New York to Oakland County with his parents in 1830. In 1861, Hathaway and his wife, Marcy C. Dewey, acquired an 80-acre parcel of land in Waterford Township. In 1902, Hathaway's grand-daughter Myrtle Hathaway married William Hess, an early investor in the Fisher Body Company. Following William's retirement in the 1930s, the Hesses devoted their lives to the family farm. They operated a successful dairy known as the Lone Cedar Farm, and raised champion sheep and Jersey and Hereford cattle. Myrtle Hess died in 1985. She bequeathed the family farm to Waterford Township and stipulated that the land be used as a park. In 1989, Waterford Township dedicated the Hess - Hathaway Park.