Holy Family Church
In the early twentieth century, immigrants from southern Italy and Sicily settled in Detroit's northeast side. They first worshipped in a chapel at Saints Peter and Paul Church. In 1907, Father Giovanni Boschi arrived in Detroit and began a campaign to build a church for the Italian community. In 1908, Bishop John S. Foley canonized the church and named it Holy Family. Completed in 1910, the Italian Renaissance basilica was designed by Edward A. Shilling of Detroit.