Michigan Dental Association

Michigan Dental Association

The Michigan Dental Association was organized on January 8, 1856, by fourteen dentists who met in Detroit at the office of Hiram Benedict and Lorain Christopher Whtting. According to the American Dental Association, it was the first state dental society in the country. At this meeting the dentists established bylaws and membership qualifications. One must be twenty-one, a practicing member of the profession, possess 'a good English education,' and have unexceptionable moral character. In the 1860s and 1870s the association advocated a dental school in the state. At this time few dentists received formal training. In 1875, after almost twenty years of effort, the state legislature appropriated money to establish a dental school at the University of Michigan.
photo of Michigan Dental Association

Registered Site L1640
Erected 1989

Location: 230 North Washington
Lansing, Ingham County

Topics:
Clubs and Organizations
State Universities

Home

Latitude: 42.735072, Longitude: -84.552196

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com