Hope Church: Reformed Church in America
In 1854, seven years after Dutch settlers came to this area, the Reformed Church in America established an English-language preaching mission in Holland. Principals from the Holland Academy, which became the Hope College in 1866, served as early ministers. In 1862 the mission became Hope Church, Second Protestant Dutch Reformed Church. The congregation's ten charter members were led by missionary preacher Philip Phelps, who later became the first president of Hope College. The church and college have been closely associated, sharing the same name and similar seals featuring an "anchor of hope." Through the years the congregation's progressive spirit has attracted people from diverse backgrounds.