Genesee County Courthouse
Genesee County was organized on March 8, 1836. The previous year the territorial legislature had stipulated that the county seat would be located on the west side of the Saginaw Turnpike "on lands recently deeded by John Todd and wife" to Wait Beach. Beach would in turn donate two acres of land to the county for "a courthouse and public square, one acre of ground for a burial ground, two churches and two school lots of common size." The first courthouse and jail was constructed on this site in 1839. In 1866 an inmate in the jail burned the structure. The second courthouse, completed in 1867, was replaced by a more spacious building in 1904. That courthouse also burned. On August 31, 1926, the present Neo-Classical-style structure, designed by Fredrick D. Madison, was dedicated.