Sophie Scott Turner (1856 - 1941), a member of one of Lansing's pioneer families, built this house in 1927, Turner was considered on of the city's largest land-holders, owning vast acreage in Lansing Township and around Potter Park and Mount Hope Cemetery. This Colonial Revival house, with its broad veranda has been compared to George Washington's home, Mount Vernon. The Michigan Historical Commission was housed here from 1943 until 1979. In 1980, Lansing Community College
acquired the property.