Erin - Warren Fractional District No. 2 School
This school served children in Erin and Warren Townships from 1872 to 1921. Beginning in 1838, German farmer Christian Gerlach held classes in his home. During the 1840s a log building served as a classroom. In 1850 a red frame school was built. In 1872 the red school was replaced with this structure. Popularly known as Halfway School, it was located in the village of Halfway, midway between Mount Clemens and Detroit. When the school closed in 1921, it was moved to the southeast corner of Nine Mile Road and Gratiot Avenue and used as a warehouse. The East Detroit Historical Society acquired the school in 1984, returning it to within one hundred feet of its original site and restoring its nineteenth century appearance.