Hugh McCurdy (1829 - 1908), a native of Scotland, immigrated with his parents to Birmingham, Michigan, in 1837. He first worked as a cooper's apprentice, and after reading the law was admitted to the Michigan bar in 1854 and practiced law in Pontiac. Soon after moving to Corunna in 1855, he was appointed Shiawassee County prosecutor. He was elected probate judge in 1860, state senator in 1864 and mayor of Corunna in 1880 and 1887. McCurdy established the First National Bank of Corunna
in 1865. A member of the Free and Accepted Masons since 1850, he became Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Michigan in 1873. In this capacity, he laid the cornerstone of the new state capitol on October 2, 1873. In 1892, McCurdy was elected Grand Master of the Knights Templar of the United States. In 1899, McCurdy and his wife, Emma gave land to Corunna for a public park.