The Grosse Pointe Memorial Church
This Neo-Gothic church was dedicated on May 15, 1927. Detroit architect W. E. N. Hunter designed the limestone structure, which contains stained-glass windows by the Willet Studios of Philadelphia, Pewabic tile from Detroit and wood carvings by German carver Alois Lang. The tower houses a forty-seven-bell carillon. In 1962 the education wing was erected. The church was dedicated to the founders, who organized the non-denominational Grosse Pointe Protestant Evangelical Church on September 7, 1865. In 1867 the first church was erected at Kerby Road and Lake Shore Drive. A stone and wood-frame building, referred to as the "ivy-covered church," was built on this site in 1894. In 1920 the congregation reorganized as a Presbyterian church.