Taylor Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery
The Taylor Methodist Episcopal congregation built the first church in Taylor Township in 1882 on land donated by Marlin H.H. and Rachel Coan for a church and cemetery. Platted in 1884, this cemetery originated as the church's burial ground. At that time, remains dating from as early as the 1840s were relocated here form private families cemeteries. In 1923 the burial ground became the West Mound Cemetery, named for the large sand hill on which it stood. The remains of Peter Coan, Taylor's first landowner, are among the 3,200 graves, of which 114 date from the nineteenth century.