Khardomah Lodge / Susan Hill Yerkes
In 1873 lumberman James Brayton built a cottage here which he and his wife named "Khardomah Lodge." Susan Hill Yerkes bought the property in 1919, adding thirteen rooms and converting the cottage to a summer hotel, thus beginning Khardomah's history as part of Grand Haven's tourism industry. From 1938 to 1984, the lodge was owned by Jennie Smith and her daughter Helen Unger. Families from as far away as St. Louis and Little Rock returned to Khardomah each summer.