Assumption Roman Catholic Church
The origins of Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Roman Catholic Church can be traced to 1830, when German immigrants first arrived in Detroit. Warned away from cholera-stricken Detroit, they built a log church here in 1832. In what was then the outskirts of the city, Redemptorist missionaries served Kirchen Wald (Church in the Woods) until it was designated a parish by Bishop Peter Paul LeFevre in 1847. It is the second oldest parish in Detroit. Father Amandus Vandendriessche, the first full-time pastor, was assigned here in 1852 and immediately began building a permanent structure. Built of bricks made on the premises, the church was completed in time for Christmas services that same year.