Commerce Village Burying Ground
The Commerce Village Cemetery is an excellent example of a pioneer cemetery and displays a remarkable variety of monuments and headstones. A number of grave markers reflect popular nineteenth century funerary motifs, including willow trees, praying hands, urns, foliage, lamps, grapes, drapery, doves, crosses and clasped hands. Distinctive White Bronze (zinc) monuments mark the graves of Seymour and Mary McWhorter and John and Mary McGowan. A 1990 survey of plantings revealed twenty-four varieties of tress and shrubs, which add to the park-like setting. Platted by the Baptists in 1837, the cemetery was transferred to the Commerce Township Cemetery Association in 1921. The township took ownership of the property in 1950.