Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Sion Church
During the 1870s, Swedish Pioneers arrived in Bay County. By 1880 many Swedes had settled in West Bay City. In October of that year, fifty people organized the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Sion Church, affiliated with the Augustana synod. A year later, a church and parsonage were built here on land donated by lumberman Henry W. Sage. In 1938 then church was renamed Messiah Evangelical Lutheran Church. The present building was completed in 1956.