Ward Mill Site
In 1845, Joseph M. Ward (1822 -1902) joined William Fargo in a livery and freight business, located on the corner of State and Jefferson streets. In 1849, Ward bought an interest in a woolen mill on the nearby creek, which he operated until 1860. The next year he converted the mill to flour production. Ward's son Frank (1860 - 1936) and E.C. Hinman (1852 - 1906) took over the business in 1882. Hinman left the business in 1888, and Frank Ward moved to Detroit in 1897. Joseph resumed control of the business until his death.