Cornelius G. Munger General Store
In 1817 one of the oldest towns in this area was settled and named for local pioneer Michael Vreelandt of New York. In 1838 Vreelandt was renamed Flat Rock. Around 1875 merchant Cornelius G. Munger built a general store on the east side of Detroit Street, just west of here at present-day Telegraph and Huron Roads. In 1885 he moved this building to the northwest corner of Telegraph and East Huron Roads next to the Munger Hotel, operated by his father, William. According to local tradition the Munger establishments were a stagecoach stop, and the store had the first public telephone between Detroit and Toledo. Serving as postmaster from 1885 to 1889, Cornelius Munger distributed mail from his store. The original service window remains.