First Congregational Church
On January 11, 1860, eight years before Saugatuck was incorporated as a village, a council of area Congregational leaders met in the Pine Grove schoolhouse and organized a church. During the summer the congregation built a church on this site, which has been incorporated into the present building. It was the first church erected in the village. In 1861, Saugatuck citizens rallied here upon learning of the rebel firing on Fort Sumter and the outbreak of the Civil War.