Battle Creek No. 4 Fire Station
This firehouse, which opened on July 2, 1904, was the last one in the city to use horse-drawn equipment. Hubert C. Scofield, architect of Fire Station No. 3, designed the Richardsonian Romanesque building, built at a cost of $8,099. In 1917 the station was motorized. The horses and combination hose and chemical wagon were sent to service Fort Custer, beginning the era of a totally motorized Battle Creek Fire Department. After nearly eighty years of service, the station was closed on January 1, 1983.