Saint John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
In 1860 the Reverend A. D. Herzberger of Monroe chartered this church with twenty-two members. The predominantly German congregation worshipped in a schoolhouse until the first church was completed in 1863. The present Gothic church, originally crowned with a 125-foot-high steeple, was dedicated on November 9, 1890. Two dedicatory services were held, one in German and the other in English. The last German service was held in 1945.