African Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1855 Elder James Brown and his wife Radley, established an African Methodist Episcopal Church in Battle Creek. The congregation met in members' homes until 1860 when it moved into a church on the northeast corner of Maple and Van Buren streets. In 1867 the members began worshipping in a church located on this site. The Reverend E.L. Carey was the first pastor. The present church, built in 1906 - 08, has since been enlarged. The church became the Mount Zion A.M.E. in 1926.