Jeremiah Cronin Jr. House
This picturesqe residence was erected in 1872 for Marshall merchant Jeremiah Cronin. Jr., and his wife Susan. Local contractor Frederick N. Church constructed this house as well as Cronin's 1869 Michigan Avenue commercial block. On September 5, 1872, the Calhoun County Patriot and Democratic Expounder predicted that the house would be the "most stylish" in the city. The Italian villa reflects the Cronin family's standing in the community. When Jeremiah died in 1889, Susan took over the business as the S.E. Cronin Store. Their son Jay became manager in 1907. By then, the Cronins were operating clothing, grocery and shoe stores and a bakery. Jay Cronin's daughters operated the business until 1974.