In 1827 the Michigan Territorial Legislative Council created Troy Township. Stephen V.R. Trowbridge and Riley Crooks were elected supervisor and clerk. Township meetings were held in houses and barns until 1848 when a frame hall was built on this site. That structure served until 1927 when a brick building was completed on the northwest corner. The old hall was removed in 1941. Between 1927 and 1940 portions of Troy Township were annexed by Royal Oak, Birmingham and Clawson. The remaining thirty-three square miles became the city of Troy in 1955.