Saint Paul Catholic Church
By the 1790s, French priests were ministering to farmers living along Lake St. Clair. In 1825 Father Francis Badin dedicated a log church to St. Paul near the Lake in present-day Grosse Pointe Shores. In 1850 a frame chapel was erected on the current site. Built in the 1890s, during Father John Eisen's pastorate, the present French Gothic-inspired church was designed by Detroit architect Harry J. Rill. The first mass held in the church was Father Eisen's funeral in 1899.