In 1849 when D. Robert Burcham settled in this vicinity, Chippewa and Ottawa Indians lived along the Red Cedar River. Burcham journeyed here on the Indian trail that became the Grand River Road
, also known as the Lansing Howell Road. In 1855 the state legislature founded the Michigan Agricultural College (present-day Michigan State University
) on one square mile of woodland. By 1857 seven campus buildings and seven farmhouses located within a two mile radius of College Hall (where Beaumont Tower now stands) constituted the community. In 1887 Professors W.J. Beal and Rolla C. Carpenter platted the first subdivision, naming it Collegeville. The area is now bounded by Michigan Avenue, Harrison Avenue, Oak and Beal streets. In 1884 the community's first post office, Agricultural College, Michigan was established on Campus.