Newburg Methodist Church
By 1834 there were two religious societies in Newburg, one Methodist and one Congregational. The Methodist society was part of the Plymouth Circuit and served by itinerant ministers. The Reverend Marcus Swift was the first pastor. A strident anti-slavery advocate, Swift openly criticized the Methodist conference for its silence on the issue. In 1841 he seceded. Methodists constructed their first church in 1846. Two years later the Congregationalists built a church. Each society hosted worship services on alternate Sundays. In 1888 the two organizations merged under the Methodist name and worshipped in the former Congregational Church. The society grew rapidly during World War II, 1941-45. The present parsonage, sanctuary and educational wing were erected in 1962.