Saginaw and Gratiot County State Road
In 1867 goods for Gratiot and Isabella Counties were shipped from Detroit to St. Johns, then hauled by teams of horses to outlying settlements. In an effort to lessen the exhorbitant transportation costs the citizens of Saginaw and Gratiot elected to build a thirty-two-mile long plank road connecting Saginaw and St. Louis. In 1869 the state legislature chose Saginaw lumbermen Ammi Wright and William Glasby to construct the road. Wright served as president of the Gratiot Plank Road Company and Glasby as its contractor. By 1870 farmers, merchants and a stagecoach line traveled daily between Saginaw and St. Louis. The road later became M-46.