Defer Elementary School
In 1921, Rural Agricultural District No. 1 consolidated five fractional districts, bringing together students who previously met in five separate schoolhouses. Defer Elementary School, the first school built after the consolidation, was named for George Defer (1880 - 1927) who served as a village trustee and president and a state senator. Constructed in 1924 in the Tudor Revival style, the school was designed by Detroit architect George J. Haas and decorated with Pewabic ceramic tiles. In 1927 the neighborhood had grown and the school became overcrowded. In 1928 an addition, which included the conservatory, was built. Defer Elementary School is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.