Lewis E. Maire Elementary School
The Lewis Maire Elementary School opened on October 20, 1936. Designed by Detroit architects, H. August O'Dell and Wirt C. Rowland, the school reflects the English Gothic Revival style. Copper moldings and gutters, multi-paned windows and the steeply pitched gabled entrance typify Rowland's Gothic designs. The interior is distinguished by Pewabic tile fireplaces and fishponds The school's namesake, Lewis E. Maire, was a prominent ophthalmologist who served on the Grosse Pointe Boards of Education and Health as well as the village board of supervisors.