Samuel Coleman House
In 1928 the Samuel Coleman settled in Marshall and became one of only two African American families living in Marshal. The city's black population had dwindled from 109 in 1870 to 9 in 1920, in part because more work was available in nearby Albion and Battle Creek. In 1937, Coleman and his sons made 3,000 cement blocks and used them to build this house. Samuel and his wife, Elizabeth, and their 12 children lived in the house which also served as a furniture repair chop and a fruit market.